For many organizations Cloud-based SCADA is simply the best option. What is the end goal? To achieve maximum operating results while minimizing cost and hassle. Why hassle? Because time is important too. Within the last few years there has been a migration to Cloud computing because it makes sense. Cloud-based SCADA is software-as-a-service. Let’s contrast your options.
Software-as-a-service is the modern way to go and is always right-sized; while the Application Hosting model relies on twenty-year-old technology like remote desktop. With Cloud-based SCADA you pay for what you use and don’t have multiple meetings with IT about servers, power backup, and additional IT staff. With Application Hosting you are still exposed to budget overruns that just aren’t part of the picture with Cloud-based SCADA.
With Cloud-based SCADA you have:
- Alignment with company goals: let’s do it the most efficient and inexpensive way.
- Controlled cost: no additional servers to buy or expensive server applications; it doesn’t care what operating system you are using; no additional IT staff; you won’t need that SCADA person sitting in that cubical.
- Security: no security gap created by operating system updates with the Application Hosting interface.
- Availability: with the Cloud you can expect less than six minutes of unscheduled downtime per year. This does not include when the user’s internet service provider experiences an outage.
When selecting your Cloud-based SCADA provider it is important to consider the following:
- The process integrity: the hardware, software and procedures used by the service provider meet or exceed industry standards.
- Confidentiality: the service provider has a track record of providing excellent services and willingly provides references.
- Cutting edge solution: the service provider has used modern tools and procedures to develop the solution and continues to develop. For instance modern polling tools are much faster and require less band-width. Average poll time should be less than six seconds.
Please consider AccuTrac5 when you next need to compare SCADA systems. We would be happy to demonstrate how a cutting edge Cloud-based SCADA system can benefit your company. Please contact us at sales@AccuTrac5.com.